Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I Even Jinx Myself Sometimes

So in my last blog post I went on a big long tirade about how I can't pick winners in fantasy baseball. Well I guess there is nothing like proving yourself wrong. For Wednesday's SBNation Pick 6 I chose Jered Weaver as my starting pitcher. So I don't even know what to think anymore about my fantasy baseball jinxing abilities.

If you somehow haven't heard by now, Weaver no-hit the Twins on Wednesday night. Now I knew how bad the Twins have been so far this season, so it's not like I chose Weaver on a total whim. I mean there is no way I expected a no-hitter, but I did think he fair well enough to garner a decent amount of points. Although to be perfectly honest, earlier in the day I was kicking myself for not starting Justin Verlander. But right now, I'm pretty glad I didn't.

The day wasn't all roses for my fantasy squad though. I had Derek Jeter as my middle infielder, y'know, the guy who is hitting .400 and was facing the Orioles in Yankee Stadium? Yeah, 0-4 and was worth -4 points. Super. AJ Ellis was another superb choice by yours truly. He's hitting over .300 and his OBP is almost .450 plus he homered on Tuesday and drove in three runs. Wednesday however he went 1-3 and netted me 5.6 points. I also figured since the Red Sox haven't been scoring a ton of runs lately, Aceves would get a save opportunity versus the A's. Nope. The Sox never led, Aceves never stepped foot on the field, a big fat goose egg for me. Super.

I didn't totally derp on Wednesday though. I had Matt Kemp again, and while he isn't killing the ball like he has been in the past few weeks, he did get me 12.6 points, so that was alright. I also started Howie Kendrick, which was my second best decision of the day. Kendrick went off for 27.8 points. While I admit I didn't expect anything over 13 from him, but he did have a big game on Tuesday, and again, the Angels were facing the Twins, so I picked him and hoped he'd continue his little hot streak. He did, and I'm grateful. When it was all said and done I ended the day with a total of 72 points.

So my first entry into this Pick 6 thing didn't go as planned, however Wednesday worked out quite a bit better. In fact, I finished in 76th place out of the total entries of 2,142 and was first in my group of 22. I realize Wednesday was just one day. But it's such a stark contrast to Tuesday's effort, I couldn't help but write about it again. Here's to hoping Thursday goes more like Wednesday rather than Tuesday.

Did any of you enter the SBNation Pick 6? If you did, let me know how you did. So far I'm really enjoying this set up (especially when the actual teams I root for lose), and hopefully more and more people will start playing.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports Like the blog on Facebook- facebook.com/abloopandablast

No comments:

Post a Comment