Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Melky Cabrera Suspended For 50 Games

Giants slugger, and All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera was suspended for 50 games today for violating MLB's drug policy. Reports say he tested positive for testosterone. What makes this more interesting then your average drug-related suspension is he basically confessed/admitted to the whole thing.

His statement following the announcement of his suspension was, "My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement. "I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."  It's not often you hear a guy just totally own up to something like this. Does he deserve credit for this? Maybe, but it doesn't make his violation acceptable. 

My question about the whole thing, is anyone really surprised? I know it's unfair, but his stats this year had me questioning him. He's having by far a career year. He was hitting .346 with a .390 on base percentage and a slugging percentage of .516. These are all way above his career averages. It's one thing for a guy to raise his batting average, but for all 3 of those stats to make such significant jumps? We now know why that is. 

Cabrera will miss the rest of the regular season, and if the Giants do make the playoffs, he'd be eligible to play in their 6th playoff game. But by then he probably won't be in baseball shape. Remember, he can't go down to the minors until then either, and by that time, their season will be over too. The Giants would have to keep a roster spot open for him, which would make almost no sense. Also, you have to wonder if the Giants knew something was coming. They acquired two outfielders before the deadline. Maybe they knew this was going to happen sooner or later? We'll probably never know. 

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports and Like the blog on Facebook-A Bloop and A Blast

No comments:

Post a Comment