Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Dodger Disconnect

For as long as I can remember, I've been a fan of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Growing up in Long Beach we went to Dodger games, not Angel games. Vinny was the soundtrack I did my homework too as I waited for the freedom of Summer, and my friends and I pretended to be Hershizer, Piazza, and Karros when we played baseball. I remember Nomo's no-hitter and the five-straight Rookies of the Year. Anytime I watch Gibby's home run in 88 I still get teary eyed. The Dodgers even sent a few players to our little league field a couple times. I still have the autographs I cherished getting 15+ years ago.

But it's hard to care this season.

I'm not saying I don't want the Dodgers to win, that part hasn't changed, but not being able to watch them makes it harder for me to be invested in the team.

I'll be the first to admit I root for the Red Sox just as much as I root for the Dodgers. In year's past, I would listen to Red Sox games thanks to MLB GameDay Audio and then watch the Dodgers on TV. Sometimes I'd be paying attention to both games at the same time. But I can't do that this season and listening to two games at the same time isn't possible, at least for me, and I've had to make a choice.

Red Sox games come on first, typically when I'm finishing up working for the day, they're a nice distraction. By the time the Dodgers are on, the wife is home and she wants to watch TV or go out to dinner. If there was a Dodger game on, we'd watch that or go somewhere that was showing it. But that's not possible. None of the bars or restaurants close to us have Time Warner. So I have to make a decision- shun the wife so I can listen to the Dodgers, or check Twitter every once in a while and follow the action there? Not a tough choice at all.

On top of this, I don't even get Dodger games on MLB Network. Last night, MLB Network had regional coverage. The listing said the game being shown would either be Reds vs. Dodgers or Astros vs. Royals. I had the Astros vs. Royals game. I live less than 30 miles from Dodger Stadium. Thankfully ESPN 2 broke coverage to show some of Ryu's attempt at a perfect game, but otherwise I wouldn't have seen a single pitch.

Lots of people want someone to blame for SportsNetLA not being available. I don't care. As far as I'm concerned everyone involved is to blame. Time Warner Cable for wanting to charge too much, the Dodgers for letting them handle the negotiations, and the other providers for leaving the fans basically in the dark.

Do I expect this blog to change anything? No, not at all. Stan Kasten isn't going to read this, neither is Magic or any of the executives at Time Warner or any of the other providers. But maybe someone who has a larger following than I is experiencing the same thing and will be inspired to write something similar. Though with articles already having been published in the LA Times, among other places, I don't think anything will change this season. The vast majority of Dodger fans will continue to miss out on games and, if they're anything like me, they'll continue to feel disconnected from a team they grew up loving.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports

No comments:

Post a Comment