Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Managerial Discretion

How can anyone be surprised by the most recent antics of Bobby Valentine and Ozzie Guillen? These two guys are known for running their mouths (or speaking their minds, however you choose to word it.)

If you don't know what I'm talking about, I'll explain as best and as quickly as I can. Valentine reopened the whole Youkilis business by saying he knew he'd play better elsewhere and he doesn't think Youk ever got over/forgave him for his comments in April. Not only that, but he hinted that Youk was the source that ratted out the pitching staff for their chicken and beer escapades last season. It seems Valentine has no clue what loyalty is, especially to Red Sox fans. Maybe he learned a lesson Monday night when Youkilis got a louder and longer ovation in his first trip back to Fenway then he'll get all year. I doubt it though.

Guillen is in the news for his mouth because of an incident in Sunday's Marlins vs. Nationals matchup. Guillen complained that rookie phenom Bryce Harper had pine tar too high on his bat. Supposedly this can cause more friction thus causing the ball to travel further. Personally, this is something I'd like the Mythbusters to test, but that's neither here nor there. In his next at bat, Harper allegedly pointed his bat at Guillen before stepping into the box (the horror!!!) Guillen was then seen on the top step cursing at Harper and pointing a bat back at him and shaking it around while making faces. Whose the 19 year old again? Guillen's actions were not only ridiculous, but if I were a Marlins fan, I'd be embarrassed.

Now I'll be the first to say I like a passionate manager who stands up for his guys. But what Guillen and Valentine are doing is almost the complete opposite. They're attracting unnecessary attention to their club. Sure it's not directed at a member of their own squad, but how would you like to work for one of these clowns? I know I wouldn't. Again, no one should be surprised by these idiots running their mouths again. I'd just like to know what each hoped to accomplish by their most recent headline grabbing antics.


Follow me in Twitter- @TwittinSports

No comments:

Post a Comment