Friday, July 6, 2012

UFC 148 Preview

Rather than go through the entire card, I'm just going to focus on the two main event fights. Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz, and Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva.

For the Ortiz/Griffin fight, it's important to note that Ortiz has already said this will be his last fight, he plans on retiring after the fight. That right there has to give him a bit of an advantage. He's 1-6-1 in his last 8 fights, and this is the rubber match between the two. Ortiz won the first fight and Griffin won the last time they met. You have to give the striking advantage to Griffin, but Ortiz is still the superior wrestler. I wouldn't be surprised to see this go down to a split-decision and have Ortiz come out on top. I think he'll do whatever he can to get the fight to the ground and keep it there.

By now pretty much every single MMA fan knows that Sonnen vs. Silva will be probably the biggest fight in UFC history. Again, as every fan knows, their last fight was legendary. Sonnen absolutely dominated Silva before getting caught with a submission late in the 5th and final round. Sonnen then tested positive for elevated testosterone levels, and he hasn't shut up since. Silva is widely regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet right now, he hasn't lost since June of 2006, and he's never lost in the UFC. There's a reason Dana White has called him the greatest mixed martial artist ever. This fight should be nothing short of amazing.

As per his usual, Sonnen has done nothing but run his mouth leading up to this fight. Even going so far as to say he'll leave the UFC is he loses, which I would love to see happen as I can't stand the guy, but I doubt that will happen. He's too big of a draw for the UFC, and he wouldn't be able to deal with not winning. If you saw the interview on Dan Lebatard is Highly Questionable yesterday, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. Sonnen seems to live in some alternate reality where only he speaks the truth and no one can say anything different. He's not a normal person, and it's a good thing he's a professional fighter. If he wasn't he'd probably be serving quite a lengthy prison sentence for some violent crime. Just my two cents, but that's the feeling I get from the guy.

As for my prediction, I think/hope/pray that Silva absolutely wipes the mat with this idiot. There is no denying Sonnen's talent, he's a great fighter. But I don't think he's on Silva's level. Yeah he was within seconds of becoming the champion the last time they met, but he didn't. That's what's important. He isn't the champion, Silva is. The normally subdued champion has even been doing some trash talking. This is what makes me think Silva will win. He hasn't been challenged since the last fight with Sonnen, and he knows he got beat down for the vast majority of the fight. He won't allow this to happen again. I'm saying Silva by knockout in the 4th round.  I'm not extremely confident with that pick, though. I think Sonnen will come out stronger than last time too. He knows this fight will make or break his legacy. That being said, I still like Silva to pull off yet another victory.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports Like the blog on Facebook- A Bloop and a Blast

No comments:

Post a Comment