Monday, April 1, 2013

2013 MLB Predictions

I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve right now. Can't sleep because I know when I wake up, there is going to be presents under the tree, err, on the TV. Baseball is back. Finally. Here are my predictions for this season.

AL East-As much as it pains me, I'm going to go with the Orioles winning the division. I can see Boston getting a Wild Card spot, or at least being in contention late in the year. For all those singing the praises of the Blue Jays I have one question. How did all those guys do last year? They were awful. Just because they got traded doesn't mean they're going to regain their form. Plus Toronto has a new manager. I think they'll finish better than the Yankees (praying for a 65-win season out of them) but I don't think they'll be much of a threat to the playoffs. The Orioles got hot last year at the right time. I think that confidence boost will carry over.

AL Central-Tigers. Unless one of their key guys gets hurt, who in that division is better? No one, that's who. They're far and away the best team in the division.

AL West-This one is tricky. The numbers say go with the Angels. They said that last year too and they missed the playoffs. I don't think they'll win the division, but I do think they get a Wild Card spot. I think Texas takes the division this year. Yes they lost Hamilton but they have so many other guys that can help fill that void I don't think they'll miss him too much. The Angels will be tough, but they lack a decent bullpen. I also don't see much leadership on that team. No one seems to want to step in and be "that guy."

NL East-I think this one is going to come down to the final week of the season between Atlanta and Washington. What will Strasburg look like without a leash? Will Kimbrel be unstoppable this year? How will the Braves play without Chipper on the field? There are so many exciting story-lines in the NL East I can't wait to see those teams go at it. Apologies to Mets and Marlins fans, that's gotta suck. Either way, I have Atlanta and Washington both making the postseason.

NL Central-The Cardinals, I guess? Losing Carpenter would be a lot bigger if he'd been there last year. They know how to win without him. The Brewers could make some noise, but I just don't think they have the arms to get it done down the stretch.

NL West-Hopefully I not putting the jinx on my boys, but I'm going with Big Blue. I think this is the year the Dodgers put it all together. Yes, they spent a boatload of money. I'll be the first one to tell you that buying a championship is much more difficult now than it was 15 years ago. However, they already had a good amount of talent on that team, with established leaders, so I don't think bringing in the stars they did will have a negative impact. This is another race that I think will come down to the finals weeks. The Giants are still a very good team. They proved last year they know how to win even when Lincecum struggles. Cain is now the ace of that staff and with Romo anchoring the 'pen they are definitely a scary team. I'll say the Dodgers win the division and the Giants will take a Wild Card spot.

Awards

NL Cy Young-Kershaw. He's just too good. If he's healthy, I'll take him over anyone else in baseball right now.

NL MVP-Three names come to mind for this one. Joey Votto, Matt Kemp, and Andrew McCutchen. All three are already bonafide stars in the league. Kemp may have trouble because he has so much talent around him. 'Cutch will have trouble because the Pirates probably won't win enough games for him to receive the recognition he clearly deserves. Seriously, think about how bad they would be without him. Votto is my front-runner.

NL Rookie Of The Year- Travis D'Arnaud. He's probably going to be the guy that gives Mets fans hopes and dreams for the next few seasons.

AL Cy Young-Man it's hard to go against Verlander here, so I won't. He's filthy. He throws hard, he goes deep into games, and he's in a weak division that will inflate his win total and shrink his ERA. That's not to suggest he isn't good, he's amazing. Easily one of the top 5 pitchers in all of baseball.

AL MVP-Have to go with Mike Trout here. I argued last year that he should've been the MVP and I think this year he'll make it impossible not to vote for him. He's too good to have a sophomore slump and with more experience under his belt I can see him running away with this award.

AL Rookie Of The Year-I'm going with Jackie Bradley Jr. here. Yes I'm a homer. I know it, and I'll freely admit it. But you can't deny his talent. If he can put together a year where he hits about .280 with 20-25 home runs and 30-35 stolen bases, he can take this award. Plus, if the Red Sox can make the playoffs, it's going to hard to ignore his contributions. Again, I know I'm a homer. Get over it.

I'm going to say the Rangers win it all this year too. I think this is the year they finally get over the hump. If Yu Darvish can pitch consistently as well as we all know he can, that's going to be a tough team to beat 4 out of 7 games. However it shakes out though, I'm just thrilled baseball is back. So there ya go, my predictions for the MLB season. Agree? Disagree? Think I'm unworthy of watching baseball? Well, in the wise words of The Dude, "that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports

No comments:

Post a Comment