Monday, April 9, 2012

Is Ozzie Out?

So Ozzie Guillen loves Fidel Castro because no one has been able to kill him? If there has ever been a list of terrible reasons to admire someone, that has to be near the top. But really, people need to calm down.

I fully support the Cuban community in Florida in their protest/demonstration. Most of us will never understand what the Cuban people suffered through, and I'm sympathetic to their plight. However, that being said, I highly doubt any of these people are Marlins fans. As someone on ESPN said today, (I think it was Bob Ryan on Around The Horn, but I'm not positive) the Cuban population in Florida has never supported the Marlins the way they have supported the Heat. Which is really funny to me. I mean, how many Cuban NBA players are there compared to Cuban MLB players? Also, those calling for him to be fired or resign really need to chill. The guy said something stupid, not offensive or horribly inflammatory, it was just dumb. We've all done that.

The other thing I heard on ESPN (I think this was from Tony Kornheiser who was quoting Dan LeBetard, but again, I'm not sure)  in regards to this story, was comparing Castro to Hitler, and that's just wrong. While you cannot argue that Castro has been good for humanity, he pales in comparison to Hitler. Now if Ozzie had said he loved Hitler, then yeah, he probably should lose his job, and I don't think anyone would be upset by this. I realize this is a bit of a contradiction, and I have no personal connection to the suffering caused by either of these two horrible people, it's simply my opinion.

Lastly, IT'S OZZIE FREAKIN' GUILLEN!!!! What did the Marlins think, that he was going to be a choir boy? He runs his mouth, that's just his style. I'm shocked that he has been this apologetic and is holding a press conference to apologize and not just issuing a statement he didn't write. Not only that, he has invited anyone who has a question to his press conference tomorrow, whether or not they are a member of the media. I'm usually very skeptical when it comes to apologies from sports stars, but he sure sounds like he's being sincere. I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt, and another chance.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports

No comments:

Post a Comment