Thursday, April 5, 2012

Red Sox Game 1-Panic in the bullpen

First off, welcome to my blog. I've written for a few different websites over the years, but I decided to start a casual baseball (and probably some other sports) blog for this season.

So the Red Sox bullpen took the loss in their first game of the 2012 season. While this should come as no real surprise to anyone, the level of concern is unnecessarily high. No one would say the Boston bullpen is anywhere near the top of the list on things the Red Sox are confident in. Aceves is not a closer, plain and simple. However at this point, they don't have a true closer. Melancon has 20 career saves, though that is more than Aceves, Padilla doesn't have closer stuff, and Morales simply doesn't have the control yet.

My idea would be to move Daniel Bard back to the closer's and have either Padilla or Aceves to the 5th starter position. Either that, or figure out a way to sign Roy Oswalt and then move Bard back to the bullpen.

All of that being said, the Red Sox didn't look terrible today. They faced one of the best pitchers in the game, and while Lester did struggle at moments, the defense backed him up. The bats were a bit quiet, but again, Justin Verlander was pretty dominant today. Although it would have been nice if they could have scored with a runner on 3rd with 2 outs. Also, I do expect there to be an improvement to the offense once Carl Crawford returns. Nothing against Ryan Sweeney and Cody Ross, but having both of them in the lineup doesn't exactly raise my level of confidence.

Anyways, hope someone actually reads this, if you do let me know, even if you hate it. I'll mostly be writing about the Red Sox and Dodgers for the majority of the season, as those are the 2 teams I follow the closest, but I'm sure there will be some posts about other random teams as well.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports

No comments:

Post a Comment