Monday, April 23, 2012

You Win This Round Juan Uribe

If you've been keeping up with my posts about the Dodgers, you undoubtedly are used to me trashing Juan Uribe. I hate his swing, I hate the approach he has at the plate, I hate the fact that he starts at 3rd base, and am generally just not a fan of the guy. Well, I've got to give him credit for his performance during Monday's game, even if it might kill me.

4-4, 2 runs scored, 3 RBIs, and none left on base. Someone take a picture of the box score, because I seriously doubt we'll see a line like that next to Uribe's name again this season. But, this post isn't about the future, it's about Monday's game. A game in which Uribe delivered every single time he stepped up to the plate. Were his at bats pretty? Not in the least, but that doesn't matter. What does matter is he put the ball in play with runners on base, which is all I will ever ask from him. He didn't swing at great pitches, but he somehow put the bat on the ball, and it found a hole. Every single time he stepped up to the plate. Call it luck, call it being due, call it whatever you want, but Juan Uribe was the MVP of Monday's game. Uribe's 4 hits tied a career high, and the runs he scored Monday night were his first of the season. Whether it was just a great night, or the start of something that will hopefully continue from here on out, it was nice to see Uribe produce at the plate.

Uribe wasn't the only Dodger who had a good night at the dish. Dee Gordon and Matt Kemp both went 2 for 3 and Andre Ethier went 3-4. Altogether, the Dodgers compiled 15 hits against a Braves pitching staff that is struggling. While Chris Capuano wasn't stellar Monday night, he got the job done. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous in the top of the 1st with the bases loaded and Jason Heyward batting. But Capuano struck him, and while he did labor at times, he only gave up 1 run through 7 innings, which came on a towering blast by former Dodger David Ross. The only really ugly moment for the Dodgers was when Kemp and Ethier somehow combined to hit back-to-back singles yet end up in a double play. I've said previously how much I like aggressive baserunning, but that was just unnecessary.

The Dodgers will send Aaron Harang to the bump on Tuesday to face Mike Minor. Minor got shelled in his first start of the season, but he's been pretty solid afterwards. So it should be a pretty decent pitching matchup.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports Like the blog on Facebook facebook.com/abloopandablast

PS-Hey Mike, sorry this is the first time the Braves get mentioned. I promise I'll get something up focusing more on the positive side of Atalanta's squad sometime in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment