Monday, June 18, 2012

Roger Clemens Found Not Guilty

One of the biggest wastes of taxpayer money finally came to an end on Monday, Roger Clemens was found not guilty of perjury. Twitter is all a fuss with people complaining about it, which leads me to ask this question. Do you really care? And if you do, why?

Whether or not Clemens lied to Congress means absolutely nothing to you or me. Our daily lives are not impacted in the least. Did he knowingly use performance enhancing drugs? Probably, but so did literally hundreds of other players. I'm not suggesting that makes it OK or anything, but I simply don't care anymore.

Clemens definitely has Hall of Fame worthy statistics, and I do think this whole fiasco should, and will, have a negative effect on his being elected. I've long held the belief that players who were caught and/or admitted using PEDs should not be allowed in the Hall of Fame. That means Alex Rodriguez is out, same with Mark McGwire. My thought process is this, if one of the known cheaters is enshrined in Cooperstown, they all should be. That means Pete Rose gets in. The members of the 1919 Black Sox scandal who would otherwise be in the Hall finally get in. You can't allow one type of cheating and not others. That simply doesn't make sense.

Barry Bonds was convicted of obstruction of justice in 2011 that stemmed from an appearance before a grand jury back in 2003. Again, how are our daily lives impacted by this? Why isn't taxpayer money and government officials focusing on much more important things? I feel the same way about this new Lance Armstrong thing. I just don't care. I'm over it. Did he cheat? Maybe, but until you show me some physical evidence, leave me alone.

All in all, I think I'm glad Clemens was found not guilty. There wasn't any substantial physical evidence. This was a case of he said vs. he said. Clemens and Bonds will both be in their first year of eligibility next year, and it will definitely be interesting to see how the votes are tallied. But until then, lets just leave it alone.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports and/or Like the blog on Facebook- A Bloop And A Blast

No comments:

Post a Comment