Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Yankees Pitching Staff Takes A Big Hit

It's rare that I write a blog post with such a big smile on my face, but this is one of them. On Wednesday the Yankees placed their ace CC Sabathia on the 15-day disabled list with a strain of his left groin. Shortly after this, in the 5th inning of their game against the Indians, Andy Pettitte took a ball off his left ankle which we now know is fractured. He is expected to miss at least 6 weeks.  In the span of just a few hours, the Yankees pitching rotation took a major hit.

Now, I have never rooted for a player to get injured, or miss time, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't pleased by this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy these guys are hurt, I'm happy the Yankees won't have two of their best pitchers for a little while. I'm unabashedly a Red Sox fan and a Yankee hater, so this really should come as no surprise. Hopefully this will give the Sox an opportunity to gain some ground on the Evil Empire.

The only thing that concerns me about these two guys going down is that the Yankees may throw their hat in the ring for Zack Greinke. Yankees GM Brian Cashman isn't know for making a big splash around the trade deadline, and it's been reported that they'll fill the rotation from within, but they'd be stupid not to at least inquire about a trade for the Brewers ace.  I really hope this doesn't happen, because an August and September of facing Sabathia, Pettitte, and Greinke sounds horribly painful.

For now, the Red Sox need to seize the opportunity. They're playing good baseball right now, and need to keep it rolling. They are 6.5 games behind the Yanks, which is not an insurmountable deficit. Now is the time for the Red Sox to make a run at the top of the AL East, and these two injuries might have made that just a bit easier.

Follow me on Twitter- @TwittinSports Like the blog on Facebook- A Bloop and a Blast

No comments:

Post a Comment